Friday 30 April 2010

Back to work!

The last two days were my first days back at work after having a year maternity leave. It was a couple of  days of sadness, excitement, butterflies in my stomach and relief.

I dropped the girls off at their childminders at 7:45 having rushed about to get us all ready and respectable to go to our various places. (i spent hours the night before preparing everything we would all need) Emily was very excited as she loves going to the childminders and then preschool would be a normal day to her. Lucy was of course none the wiser and was actually fine when i left her. No crying which was great! Only me that did that.

I got in the car to drive to work - what a luxury to listen to the radio rather that 'old mac donald'!! it struck me as i arrived that i had had the most amazing year off with the girls and i was really very sad about leaving them but also that the year was at an end... never to be repeated. This made me more sad than anything really.

Anyway on arrival at school i was met by my head who laughed in a joking way at me walking down the corridor - he said he was going to rib me but thought better of it when he saw me. Bless him, He knew how i was feeling and i was laughing too.

The rest of the day was a haze of seeing collegues (well friends really) that i have not seen in a long time and hugging people in the corridors, a genuine notion of being really pleased to see each other. Even some of the children gave me hugs! There was a ripple that went across the hall when i went into assembly as the children started to notice i was there! waving to me from the other side of the room. Really sweet.

Lots has changed and lots is the same, but by the end of the day my jaws ached from smiling and talking so much. A lovely day.

Lucy was quite unsettled during the day, she did not really sleep very well for lots of reasons but was better on Friday. At one point on thursday she fell asleep on thier furry rug for half an hour bless her! She ate well and didnt cry, was abit wingy but this was mainly because she was so tired. I am sure she will get into her own routine and get used to being there. there is just so much going on she wants to be part of it all!

Anyway the two days went well, busy but exciting and scary at the same time. I just need to settle back into my home life now for the rest of the week, i know thurs will be here again before i can blink.

No comments: