Saturday 24 July 2010

Caterpillar diary and helping hands

Our caterpillars arrived on wednesday and i intend on keeping a diary of their progress and eventual release.


Basically i have borrowed this butterfly pavillion from the school science cupboard as a kind of project through the holidays. It is a pop up thing, much like a laundry basket thea the butterflies will eventually hatch out into. So i have sent off for the caterpillars and they arrived on wednesday in the post. Definatly the weirdest thing i have ever had in the post! They are (or at least they were) really tiny. five little things crawling around in this gue that is their food, at the bottom of a cup with a lid. Emily is so excited and tells everyone we see that they have come and we are watching them grow. I am just as excited as her and i do the same!!

So this is what they looked like on wed

Over the next few days they will fatten up - alot , and then form chrysalis in the top of the cup. We can then remove them from the cup lid (there is  a paper disc on the lid) and put it into the basket with some flowers that have had butterfly food put on them - sugar water. When they have hatched we can keep them in the basket for a day or two then we can release them.
I can't wait!!
I am also going to do a mini project with the girls of photos/ diary, art, reading caterpillar and butterfly books, butterfly baking etc. And i shall let you know how it all progresses over the next few weeks.

Helping hands
Emily helped me hoover this morning! She had her tongue out the whole time, just like my dad when he is concentrating on something. Yes we do have athunping great big t.v, no it is not mine and notice how it is off!! Daddy is asleep!!
We also made these frozen-orange-cups yesterday too from this beautiful blog. basically you cut an orange in half, juice it amd then pour the juice back in, freeze them and eat them as lollies. I thought these would be easy for Lucy to eat too. They are yummy!

2 comments:

Scented Sweetpeas said...

Fab to see your caterpillars, we had these this year again and I blogged about how they progressed recently. There are photos of how they grew and changed if you want to show your littles ones.

oohh I must try those frozen oranges - they look fab.

Joxy34 said...

Ohhh I think I'll have to do the caterpillar thing with Rye next year.

And oh, thanks for reminding me about the orange lollies.. I saw that too and thought I'd make some for Rye.

Hehehe and love the photo of your little lass helping with the vac-ing.