Wednesday 25 May 2011

first attempt at wet felting

I'm very excited about showing you this present Lucy recieved for her birthday.

I have been admiring felted items for a while now and bought/recieved one or two in recent months but there was a hunger in me to try it myself. I was really inspired by this photo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rounien/3455343958/

I get very excited at trying new skills like this and i really enjoyed doing it. I took a few photos along the way so you can see the process. So simple, in that i just found a tutorial on Youtube. some patient american lady, and bought the wool from ebay! Great for total novices!!! The wool is merino and it came in 20 colours so i have loads of other mini projects i can turn my time to!




 add some liquid soap and warm water
 Roll the design in 2 tea towels, one top one bottom,and squeeze the water and soap about for a while.... not very technical, but thats what i did!

 And so the finished item!!!
These wooden farm animals that my Auntie Linda bought for Lucy for her birthday and the perfect size and shape for the playscape and i am sure will become a much loved part of our home.

 The ducks have a pond
 The sheep have some lush green grass to graze on
 The piggys have some squishy mud to roll in
 And the cow and the chickens also have land to roam.
There is even a path from the mud to the pond!

so yes i am chuffed with this one!

3 comments:

Becks said...

Oh wow, you did a great job there. How much did Lucy love this then? Now you have the bug are you going to use the rest of the roving to create more animals? This could be a project that grows and grows ;-)
xx

Dawn said...

Looks really lovely, well done! Have you caught the felting bug? It's so addictive and really inspires creativity. You should see if the girls want to have a go with some bits - "painting" with wool, something my daughter loves to do. It's so versatile as you can just hang them up as art or make it into something.

Well done mama, I bet she loves it x

missking said...

Thank you for your kind comments. Lucy loves the animals and the playscape. yes i am thinking about waht i can do next.... any suggestions?
x