Thursday 5 August 2010

My Grandad.
My Grandad passed away this morning peacefully in his sleep. 

He had been very poorly for quite a while, slowly deteriorating over the last 3 week and was finally taken into a hospice yesterday afternoon where he was made comfortable and relaxed. 

Where do i begin to tell you how amazingly proud i am to say 'he is my grandad'. He was so strong all the way through his life, always doing the best for his family. Tirelessly working to improve things for them as well as the community and the town that he lived in. He was the mayor of our town for several years and he always took great pride in explaining the achievements he had made during his time in that post. He even met the Queen mother and was ever so proud of the photo in his sideboard of him watching over her as she signed something seemingly very important. My Nan and him would go reguarly to balls and functions together. She was never one for making a fuss but i know he was so proud to have her on his arm, wearing a dress that she had made for herself. (i now own some of those beautuful dresses)

Grandad was also in the Navy during the war and served in several places in Asia and the far east. He even came into school one year to tell the children about all he had seen and done during the war. He was there on the dd landings, dropping off supplied to all the troops. I loved to listen to him telling me his stories. Perhaps i was the only one who was never tired of them. He kept some amazing scrap books of all the things my Nan and him had seen or done and i could sit for hours before my girls were born listening to him explain them all. There is a suitcase full of the letters he sent home to her while away on duty. There love was so strong.

Above all this Grandad was a family man. He had the most amazing sense of humour and could always make you smile even when you were a teenager and the world hated you. He was so good with children. They lite up his world and turned him into the biggest kid going. I know my girls gave him great pleasure. often there would be a tear in his eye as he told me how lucky he felt to have been around long enough to have been part of their lives. Grandad would play with you and pull faces with you. Hold your hand or touch your face to let you know how much he cared. These tender moments will never leave me.
Grandad's 65th birthday 1986. A timeless shot of a moment in history, of family meals organised by my Nan. Playing up for the children, even when he was blowing out the candles on a cake!
October 1985 - me on the right aged 5, my cousin Darren 4, and my brother Stephen on the left aged 3.



This photo is how i think of him right now. With my Nan who died 5 years ago on the 3rd August (only 2 days ago). Today would have been Nans birthday and it is almost like a reasuring sign that he waited for this day, for this unity to be complete again. This photo was taken at their 50th wedding anniversary. There love was never ending, sharing everything right down to the dates that they died.
Grandad, I know you know how much i love you, I could see it in your eyes over the last few weeks. We could not say it but we knew how much we would miss each other. I want you to know  how proud of you we all are for all you achieved in your 89 years and that now i hope you are resting, peacefully back with the love of your life. I hope Nan has cooked you a good meal and you are catching up on the time you spent apart.

I love you Grandad
Caroline



4 comments:

Dawn said...

Lovely tribute, he sounds like a wonderful man.
Happy memories that you will have and hold forever. Thinking of you all xx

Scented Sweetpeas said...

aah he sounds and looks so lovely, I hope you find all these memories help you with your sadness.

Lorna said...

Sending you lots of love ... May he rest in peace xx

charlotte layzell said...

ah caz cried my eyes reading your lovely memories really touching, remember to celebrate his life and dont mourn his future.